Monday, January 12, 2015

Take It Personally!

Yesterday in my ward, something kinda different happened. The sacrament service began as usual, we sang a hymn, the 16-18 year old priests broke and blessed the bread and the 12-14 year old deacons passed it to all the congregation. Once they returned, they became aware of one sister who is gluten intolerant, she brings her own gluten free bread to be blessed and then passed to her. But yesterday... somehow... that bread got forgotten. Now, in the interest of time it would have been easier to just say -sorry, we'll remember next week-... this sister is not much of a sinner anyways and could surely wait an extra week to partake of the sacrament.....right???



WRONG....dead wrong! A member of the Bishopric gently instructed the boys to prepare and bless that one piece of bread and then take it the the sister. We all sat quietly as she renewed her covenants and once again had the blessing of being as clean as the day she was baptised.



Two things sank in for me yesterday. First, just how important the sacrament is. I mean, I've always known that it is important... but yesterday I realized how much Heavenly Father wants each and every one of us to have the opportunity to participate in that sacred ordinance. Second, as I sat there watching these pre-missionaries receive counsel from our Bishopric and then reverently follow those instructions... I thought about how wise Heavenly Father is to begin training and molding us from the time we are very young, to become missionaries... because are we not all missionaries?

I am grateful that we belong to a church that gives us opportunities for "public speaking" as young as sunbeam age. I am grateful that we have Cub Scouts and Activity Days to teach self-reliance and service...and fun! I am soooooo grateful for the Young Women and Young Men programs that teach life skills to awkward teens! All these programs in place to help us become better sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers....people....MISSIONARIES!



****THE GOSPEL IS TRUE****

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful reminder of how important each of us are to our Father in Heaven. I am grateful for the blessings of the sacrament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, what a great way to remind us of the importance the sacrament is to all of us, and how we all are missionaries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its awesome that even though those who have gluten intolerances (I am one of them)...we can partake of the sacrament every Sunday. I usually have a gluten free rice cracker, let me tell you every Sunday, my kids give me strange looks when I chomp down on that cracker. But to me, it is letting me renew my covenants with my Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't thought about that when we worthily partake of the sacrament we are as clean as when we were baptized. Deb G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very touching. Thank you for sharing. We are so blessed to have the ordinance of the Sacrament.

    ReplyDelete